As a sports flooring company for over 30 years, Aura understands that high performance athletes need high performance floors to compete at an elite level.
Their bodies are designed to withstand repetitive twists, turns, force, and shock — they rely on their training and ability to prevent injury as much as possible, but their playing surfaces have to rise to the challenge too.
Our job is to ensure that every athlete who uses an Aura floor has access to the highest quality products available to the market. From elite sportspeople to primary school children, supplying sports flooring that reduces injury, micro traumas and other sports related impacts is one of the most important aspects of our quality control.
Top floors for injury prevention
Engineered timber sports floors — the best floor for basketball, netball and other competitive sports:
For sports that require jumping, running and fast movements, an engineered timber system should be at the top of your list. Thanks to the layers of shock absorbing materials, the floor takes away most of the impact from the user. This is in part due to the ‘elastic floor area’ — this refers to how the floor disperses the energy throughout the floor rather than back up through the user’s body.
Polyurethane (Synthetic) Sports Floor — the best floor for school sport halls and multi purpose sports flooring:
For activities and sports that cater for lighter body weights and lower impact play, a polyurethane sports floor is ideal. These floors are low maintenance and long lasting, perfect for high traffic areas like school halls and auditoriums. As a (big) bonus, they’re so durable and low-maintenance they can even outlast the lifespan of most buildings and are also made from recycled materials.
Competitive Sports Flooring: from high schools to high performance
From lunchtime basketball to elite level sporting tournaments, we strive to provide high quality flooring that delivers safety and performance for all levels of play.
This year we saw our high performance credentials in action on the national stage when Aura Sport’s ‘best in show’ floor, the Helsinki was put through its paces during Super Netball games at Nissan Arena in Brisbane. Our star performer engineered floor shone brightly, demonstrating its ability to accommodate a high level of athletic activity week after week.
Top 8 tips for choosing your next sports floor
After three decades of sports flooring experience, we’ve learnt a bit about what works best across a variety of applications. Here are our top 8 tips when choosing a sports floor:
- Uniformity in the play surface. A floor that has an inconsistent playing surface will slow down play, and in turn cause injury.
- Layered timber or higher grade plantation grown timber used in flooring like the Helsinki and Bio-Channel system is the best fit for high level activity sports flooring.
- Ensure you have either a factory finished coating or as a minimum a high quality site applied polyurethane coating on your timber floor to aid in friction and prevent slippage.
- For high traffic multipurpose areas, investigate a Pulastic (polyurethane) sports floor, the synthetic system is the optimal flooring for schools and multipurpose halls.
- Look out for a FIBA certified flooring supplier — the rigorous testing ensures that your floor will meet the high standards set by the industry, like force reduction, wear resistance and more.
- Talk to an expert. It’s important to get the right advice for what you need from an experienced sports flooring professional.
- Visual impact, a little extra investment can add so much excitement and wow factor to your floor
- Consider the life cycle cost of your flooring and the maintenance commitments you are making. Helsinki and Pulastic offer so many advantages.
Let’s chat about your next sports flooring project, contact us here.